Paolo Barelli lives in Rome. He enjoyed a successful competitive swimming career winning 20 Italian Championships and holding 22 Italian records. He attended the Munich Olympic Games in 1972 and was an Olympic finalist in Montreal in 1976. At the World Championships in Cali in 1975 he won a bronze medal, the first World Championship medal for Italian men’s swimming. Expert in marketing and economics he founded a company dedicated to management advice and he is experienced in legislative, fiscal and non-profit management problems. From 1999 to 2001 he has been Councilor responsible for Tourism, Sport and Entertainment for the province of Rome and has been a Senator since 2001. Mr Barelli is President of the Italian Swimming Federation.
- President of the Italian Swimming Federation since 2000
- Head of Delegation of the Italian Swimming Federation at the Olympic Games of Seoul in 1988, Barcelona in 1992, Atlanta in 1996, Athens in 2004 and Beijing in 2008
- Vice President of the LEN Technical Swimming Committee, 1990-2000
- Gold Star Award of the Italian Olympic Committee for sport merits, 2001
- Member of N.O.C. Executive, 2005-2009
- Member of N.O.C. National Council since 2000
- FINA Honorary Secretary since 2009