Mr Sparkes has been involved in swimming for over 30 years. After qualifying as an engineer he undertook post-graduate studies in management at Aston University and continued his interest in swimming by coaching the local swimming club producing swimmers at National, District and County standard. Pressure of business forced him to move away from practical coaching but he became more involved with administration and was a member of the group that developed the Amateur Swimming Association’s corporate objectives, a group that set many of the key programmes for the Association which has enabled it to move from strength to strength in recent years. He has been Chief Executive of the Association since 1994 and his business experience has enabled him to bring modern business practice and a keen commercial approach to the Association’s affairs. He is the author of “Swimming for All” and has contributed to a number of other publications on the sport.
- Past Chairman of ASA Coach Certificate Committee and ASA Education Committee
- Member of ASA Management Committee
- Full Member of the ASA Council
- Chief Executive Amateur Swimming Association, 1994-to date
- Chief Executive Officer British Swimming